The most important part of your child’s dental development is prevention. At Tooth + Tusk Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, our team is committed to providing exceptional preventive dentistry in Beaverton, OR. With the most up-to-date dental technology and a compassionate team of dentists and hygienists, your child will be in good hands from start to finish.
What is Preventive Dentistry?
Preventive dentistry is more than just what we do for your child at their regular visits, it includes the healthy habits you encourage at home. Dentists recommend brushing twice per day for at least two minutes each time and flossing daily. For kids over the age of 2, using fluoride toothpaste will help protect their teeth from cavities and strengthen their enamel. When it comes time for their bi-annual dental visit, your child can expect:
- Thorough dental cleaning by one of our caring dental hygienists.
- Set of digital x-rays that typically include panoramic and bitewings.
- Dental exam performed by a dentist – during this step, the dentist will review your child’s x-rays to establish a dental baseline or to determine if any significant changes have occurred since their last appointment. The dentist will also examine your child’s teeth and gums for signs of cavities and gum disease and recommend a treatment plan if needed.
Dental Sealants in Beaverton, OR
During a preventive dentistry appointment, there are things we recommend to help protect your child’s teeth in-between visits. The application of fluoride and pediatric dental sealants can help strengthen your child’s teeth and ward off any potential cavities.
- Fluoride – this step takes just a few seconds and can come in a variety of yummy flavors. The dental hygienist will apply a thin layer on your child’s teeth to help strengthen enamel.
- Dental Sealants – an easy process that can make a huge difference in preventing tooth decay. Dental sealants are made of composite resin and applied to the back teeth or molars. They provide a barrier between your child’s tooth and bacteria.
Friendly Dental Care in a Modern Office
The old saying “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” is definitely true in the dental field. Preventing tooth and gum disease isn’t just important for your mouth, but it can also improve your overall health. If not prevented, gum disease can become irreversible and can lead to significant tooth decay, tooth loss, infection, facial weakening, and jaw distortion. The best investment you can make for your child is in their health.
It is important to choose a dentist you trust to care for your child and their oral health. The providers at Tooth + Tusk are friendly, experienced, and compassionate and know how to make your child feel right at ease during their preventive dentistry visit. Call or schedule a free preventive dental check-up today.